So, I get a phone call last night. A friend of a friend is going through some rough times and is kind of in the same bipolar boat that I am paddling in. Man, I don't know this person, I have never met them, talked to them, or heard anything about them. But you know what? If someone is the same situation as me, then you can bet your butt that I'm gonna be there.
Why? First and foremost, when you are Bipolar, manic-depressive, depressed, or any other kind of mental disorder, YOU FEEL ALONE! Partly because you are, and mostly because you go along with the mentality that society has created and you keep to yourself. You wouldn't want anyone to catch it!
Secondly, most people DO NOT get it! They do not understand what you are going through! You can talk to your friends until you are blue in the face, but if they have not walked your path, they CAN NOT understand. Not even slightly.
If you haven't stayed up for 120 hours straight, you don't get it.
If you haven't eaten for days on end because your mental side has effected your physical abilities, you don't get it.
If you haven't gotten out of bed for days because you simply can not do it, you don't get it.
If you have never thought about life without you in it, you don't get it.
If you can't keep a job because of your anxiety and inability to focus, you don't get it.
If you can't get through a single thought process because your thoughts race through your mind like a Kentucky Derby, you don't get it.
If you have never felt like no one can possibly know what you are going through, you don't get it.
If you have never been so enraged that you have blacked out, you don't get it.
If you have never felt like you could fly in one second, and then feel like you are in hell the next, you don't get it.
And if you have never gone through this, THEN YOU DON'T GET TO JUDGE!
Yes, you can tell your friends and they can pray for you, talk to you, listen to you, but they will never fully understand the day to day struggles that you face. You MUST, and I repeat, YOU MUST GET HELP! No one can change this for you, but you. And you can not do this alone. This is like having asthma. It's not gonna go away because you will it to. When you are attacked, you need an inhaler. It's the same with mental disorders. You need medicine. You need a professional.
Mental disorders can control your life. They can ruin your life. DO NOT LET THEM.
I have walked this path a VERY long time. I know what it can do. And I know what it can't. I am not alone. I am not the only one who goes through this, but it took almost 10 years before I met someone who was willing to admit that they were paddling in the same boat I am. Break your silence. Do not be ashamed. It is not your fault, and if you don't allow it to control you, then it will not! Is it hard? HELL YES it's hard. It's a daily event to sit there and take a pill. It's a mental struggle to feel like you have to take a pill to be normal. That's hard.
But you know what? It's worth it. You wanna know how I know? Come spend the day with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment