Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Testing my patience...

I have been blessed in my life. Probably more than I deserve. God has given me more blessings than I can count. One thing he skipped was PATIENCE. I mean, he didn't even give me a little. I'm not sure if he ran out that day or what.

Yesterday I had to take Bayler to the doctor. She has been running what they call "cycle fevers". She basically runs a fever every 10 days or so with no other symptoms.

I brought it up last time we were in the doctors office with Harper. I figure I might as well get my money's worth out of each visit! I was told to bring her whenever I had a free moment. Come straight to the lab to get a CBC and a chest x-ray. There would be no wait because it's the lab. On the way home that day, they called me to say that the doctor would actually like to see her the day I came in for labs. So I schedule an appointment.

Yesterday, I took her in. I actually took her, Harper and Kurt. The plan was to hit the lab, take the kids to daycare, and head to work. HAHAHAHAHA! This is me we are talking about. I mean, I asked myself last night if I honestly thought it was going to go as planned. Stupidly, I did.

We get to the doctors office at 8am. We signed in and took our seats in the flu, cough, and cold infested waiting room. 20 minutes go by. 30 minutes go by. 35...40. My girls are getting restless. They are tired, they are cranky, and they don't wanna be there any longer. I actually kind of wanted one of them to start screaming in hopes that it would annoy the nurses and we would get in a little quicker!

After 45 minutes of waiting, I walk up front. I tell the receptionist in the sweetest voice I could possibly muster up, "Ma'am, we were here for labs and told there would be no waiting". She replies with a slimy little smirk on her face, "We understand. We are very busy today and we are waiting to get your paperwork so we can send it to the lab". What? My paperwork isn't even to the lab and I've been here 45 minutes? I wanna slap her, but resist the urge, and calmly take my seat.

Another 15 minutes goes by and I ask the lab if they have receive my paperwork. Yes, yes they have! Great! (again, this is me.) "It's gonna be awhile before we can get to you, as we have regularly scheduled patients in front of you". Hmmmm...Do I slap her in the face right then and there, do I calmly walk away, or do I break down and cry? So many choices. I opt for option #4. "There must be some mistake. I was told there would be NO WAIT, and I have been here for over and hour with 2 cranky kids. So, I don't care who you have to beg, borrow, or steal from, you are gonna get to my daughter in the next 10 minutes, or you are gonna need to call my shrink because I'm thinking the fuse at the end of my firecracker isn't gonna hold any longer than that!!!"

As I sit back down, I tell Kurt he should probably go ahead and take Harper on to daycare. Who knows when we will get in. As they leave, Bayler starts screaming because she's her daddy's girl and he has left her. Whadda ya know? They have called my name. GREAAAAAT! I love that I will get to be the one to hold her down for x-rays and needle pokes when she is already screaming for her daddy!

I won't go in to detail about how HORRIFIC that whole process went. I will say that they were so kind as to go ahead and give me my results then instead of having me come to my actual appointment at 1:45. I'm not sure if she did it out of the kindness of her heart or because I said to her..."You will find someone to read me these results right now. I WILL NOT be coming back in a few hours just to wait another 2. I also WILL NOT leave here until I get those results and if one more person tells me that someone is ahead of me, I am gonna go postal!" And you know what's weird? She got us right in!!! Funny how that works, huh?

Long story longer...She is anemic, and has a low white blood cell count. They are gonna hit her with some iron and a strong dose of antibiotics to make sure there is no underlying infection hanging around. We will retest when she has finished the antibiotic.

And you know what? I get the feeling that I'm gonna get right in this time. :)

1 comment:

  1. You know what...I never had to wait more than 10 min in ANY Dr. office(and we saw a TON) in Oregon. Weird huh?! So not the case here!!! Chris would have been right there with you losing his marbles as he has as much patience that will fit in the speck on his little left piggy! :O)

    ReplyDelete